Skip to main content

#100days100 [Blocks 21-30]

I love this project. I love making the blocks - they are beautifully simple compared to other projects I'm working on, so go together very quickly, resulting in almost instant gratificaton. Also, check out the hashtag on instagram for some gorgeous blocks, mostly far better photographed than mine.

Here's my round-up of the next ten blocks: Block 21: Motherhood



The way that central piece of fabric is cocooned in the outer fabric made me think of motherhood back when I was pregnant with Mia.

Block 22: Six Brothers



My maternal Grandfather was one of six brothers: Harry, Walt, Gordon, Frank, Eddie and Ken. All six joined up: two in the navy, two in the airforce and two in the army. All six went to war in the 1940s and all six came home. I thought that should be celebrated.


Block 23: Harrogate



Each year we go to a quilt show in Harrogate to be inspired and spend lots of money on fabric! This year was no exception. I came home with a light purse, heavy bags and so, so many ideas!


Block 24: Health



Since Jess arrived, my own health has been under the spotlight. It took me a while to recover from child-birth because I did too much. Three weeks after Jess was born I started experiencing severe abdominal pain and was diagnosed with gallstones. I've had to cut most of the fat out of my diet in the intervening months, and it's made me conscious that I was eating dreadfully. While I was pregnant I also lost 2 stone. I really want to keep this off - obviously cutting my fat intake has helped, but I've also started a GP-referral exercise and gym routine at the local sports centre. I'm hoping that little steps will result in big changes. My gall bladder is due to be removed next week, but I need to keep up the healthy habits I've adopted.

Block 25: NEMQG



A group of us are currently setting up the North East Modern Quilt Guild. We meet once a month in Birtley to sew. Theoretically. There's a lot of chat too.

Block 26: Roast Dinner



Nothing beats roast dinner - even on a low fat diet I can still enjoy it! But I'm missing pork crackling at the moment!

Block 27: Aunty Margaret


This one is for my husband's Great Aunt. Yes - there will be a block for Aunty Mary too. Later.

Block 28: Family



I come from quite a small family: my dad had no Aunts or Uncles. My Mum had loads, but we didn't see much of them. My husband's family is the complete opposite. The extended family are quite close - it took me years to work out who was who (and to be able to tell the difference between Aunty Margaret and Aunty Mary!). And the more immediate family are a bunch of nutcases. Really. We see each other regularly, there's lots of banter and laughter and if you ever need anything they're always there for you. They're a canny bunch really. But don't tell them I said that!

Just a small note on the fussy cutting for this block: When I saw that "Dinosaur" would fit, it was perfect. When I first showed our 12-week scan photo of Mia to Michael's cousin he bravely said all he could see was a Dinosaur... he is still alive!

Block 29: Sea Fret



It's definitely Autumn now - we've had a 'delightful' sea fret for the last two days here. Apparently it's lovely just a mile or so inland. But here it is damp, grey and miserable.

And finally, Block 30: Milestone

Come back in a few days and you'll see exactly what sewing milestone I hit today! And in 10 days time we'll do this all over again!

Comments

Lin said…
Great blocks Jennie and I am loving the stories that go with them. I do hope that all goes well for you with your op - sending love and best wishes. xx
I love it when the fret is down, it means it's not too hot ;o)

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more