Skip to main content

Finish Along Q2: In boxes

This is a tough list to write. My sewing is packed in boxes and it will be a few weeks before it gets unpacked so this list could be totally unrealistic - let's face it - my lists normally are! I'm consoling myself by puling fabric from my stash (which is unpacked) for a growing list of baby quilts! Here's what I hope to finish this quarter:

Lob cabin cushion: I've picked this project as my goal for a lovely year of finishes for April as it requires some hand quilting. I'm hoping my machine will be unpacked just in time to finish it off before the end of the month!

City Sampler: I would love to enter this into a quilt show at the end of summer, so I have a fair amount of work to do to get there. This year? Maybe next year?



Jennie Rayment Wall hanging: another hand sewing project to get me through the move! There's quite a lot of applique to finish then I need to decide how on earth to quilt it! Any thoughts?


Secret Sewing: this may be an unrealistic goal but it's being added to its third Finish Along list...these are the fabrics I'm using.

Skill Builder: again... you must be bored of seeing this one but I'd love to get it finished... Of course I may just start the new block of the month project instead!


Aspen Glow: another repeat offender...you never know, maybe this one will suddenly fall back into favour!


April showers mug rug: when I made Mia's hoop of a girl with a brolly I cut double the fabric so I could have a matching mug rug. It would be appropriate to have on my desk for April but that may be my most unrealistic comment so far!

Clam shells: I don't like clam shells. Far too fiddly. But having put all that effort in I'm definitely going to make the few that I have pieced into something. This is theoretically my entry into this year's Pantone challenge but the link up opens this week so another dose of reality may be required! Especially as when I looked for them this evening it turns out I may have packed them in one of the many boxes labelled "sewing stuff"...


Power of Nine: I loved piecing this quilt top but I'm still not quite sure how to quilt it. Of course, I might just start a full size one instead!

Rainbow Slivers cushion: this is partially pieced... I'd love to get it finished!

Double wedding ring quilt: this project has been on the back burner for over a year but we just finished decorating our bedroom in the new house and it will be a perfect match so it would be great to get it finished and on the bed! All of the fabric is cut, 7 rings are joined, the arcs are all pieced - it's just pesky curves and Y-Seams...

Cotton and steel mini quilt: I signed up for a few more swaps... I have a plan based on this logo...

...and this fabric.

I'll be making this twice - once with light background for my.partner and once with dark background for me!

As I said, I need to make a couple of baby quilts: one in grey and yellow - here' my initial fabric pull: it will be a half square triangle quilt inspired greatly by this pin. I may swap out the scrappy greys for a single solid grey and just keep the yellows scrappy.

And another in blues on a navy background with a pop of orange using Tula Pink's Modern Alphabet pattern to spell the baby's name.

Mia needs a quilt for her cot, and she seems to have a thing for cats, so I've bought Elizabeth Hartman's cat pattern and pulled out some pearl bracelets as a starting point.


In the middle of the move Karen Lewis posted some charm squares on Instagram and I was perfectly timed to grab some - normally they are gone in seconds and I miss out. I have managed to snag 20 in low volume and 20 in pretty colours and these will also be combined in some kind of half square triangle layout inspired by the same pin as above, to make a mini quilt for my study wall!

And a last minute addition to the list: I just found out an old school friend had a baby girl! Here are the fabrics I've pulled - I'm thinking the grey background (not the cream) and just a dash of Emmy Grace. I'm borrowing a design from Anne at Play Crafts (nature tones) which I think will be just perfect for a little girl. Thanks, Anne!



So that makes 18 on the list and I think I'll stop there!

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side


Comments

Allison said…
Whew! Jennie
That's a lot of to-do's! But you are good at finishing as well as starting so I guess you won't freeze? Maybe writing deadlines against any projects that do have to be finished in a certain time would help to sort out the priorities?
Hope the unpacking keeps to schedule!
Kathinca said…
You're not the only one with a very long (somewhat unrealistic) list, i can high-five you on that one. I see some lovely project on here that i would like to see finished. Keeping track of your progress here by adding you to my reading list. Good luck unpacking !

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more