Skip to main content

A Flower for Thee [a finish]

Loads of projects are suddenly coming together after a few months of a couple of stitches every now and then. This is a project that has been three years in the making. It started as a kit of a block that was one of twelve. Quilt Aid was a project raising money for women injured in childbirth and for each block bought a donation would be made. As I understand it, the scheme ran for a few years and in 2011 was introduced to Europe for the first time - 6 shops each had two blocks. But there was no way of paying over a period, or having the blocks saved. So unless you bought all 12 blocks within about 4 months of the launch, you weren't guaranteed a kit. At about 20eur / £18 a block, I simply couldn't commit to that. I ended up with four kits of the full twelve.


I'd started the first block really excited, but once I realised I would never be able to finish the quilt (and that the four blocks I had bought were not among my real favourites) I put the block I had started in a drawer and forgot about it. Until this summer, when we rearranged the world (it was only the lounge, but it felt like the world). I found it and was going to throw it away to be honest, when my Mum suggested finishing it as a cushion for Mia. Maybe because I had a reason to finish it, I added it to my Finish Along List and I'm really pleased to see it finished at last. It's come out much better than I had expected.


The fabric is all Ruby by Bonnie and Camille - I luckily had a few pieces in my stash to supplement the kits and add a border, binding and backing. The centre is raw edge appliqued and hand stitched using Finca perle cotton. Around the edge is a peeped seam, then a ring of hand English Paper Pieced hexie flowers. This was my first experience of hexies and this block has a fair bit to answer for in that respect. However, I'd glue basted them, and removing glue basting after three years was not a pleasant experience! I finished the block with some hand quilting. The corner stones in the border were not planned, but neither was my cutting mistake!

I was so inspired that I pulled out the other 3 blocks I have kits for yesterday morning. I've decided to keep one and make that into a cushion as well, so Mia has a pair (I also have enough extra fabric about to back and bind the cushions in matching fabric). The remaining two I posted on Instagram earlier #destash. One I've sold, the other not yet. If you're interested, the one on the right below is still available for £10 (inc. postage, UK only - if you would like it posted elsewhere, I'll have to work out postage), just send me a message.

For now, the Elephant cushion is a Finish from my Finish Along list and the remaining cushion may appear sometime in 2015.
Finish Along 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more