Skip to main content

Pantone Quilt Challenge [Radiant Orchid]

For the last couple of years I have taken part in the Pantone quilt challenge: A Tangerine Tango mini quilt from 2012 and an Emerald Green block keeper from 2013. This year the colour is radiant orchid. Reading the comments on this colour, it isn't universally popular, but I like purple, and often find that when I ask people what colours they would like in a quilt, they say purple, yet it's such a hard colour to find when fabric shopping. Hopefully a year of Radiant Orchid will result in some more fabric collections which include purple.

Last year I made a cushion cover for a swap in purple, pink and turquoise and at the time I knew it was a colour scheme I wanted to revisit (and keep), so I raided my stash.

I decided to use the challenge as a way of solving two quilting requirements: last September we went to the quilt show at Harrogate with some friends and Liz was on the look out for a new project. She saw this quilt on display (I've found the blog - scroll to July 2013 - since starting this quilt with a little help - thank you Nan). There was no information on the pattern, so I agreed to draft it for her. Having never worked with octagons before I needed to check my maths was right by making a few blocks. The second requirement was one of Michael's colleagues had a baby girl in January and every baby needs a quilt!

Before Miss Mia arrived I had a finished quilt top! I had planned a piano keys border like the original at Harrogate, but just didn't have enough fabric, so picked up a nice busy print from a LQS.


On Sunday, Michael held the baby and I basted the quilt, with help from two four-legged friends... Then I had to decide how to quilt it. I was going to do a free motion stipple in the background to make the applique and the octagons pop. But my machine obviously knows I have a new love in my life and refused point blank. I'll fight that problem another day. So for this quilt I did fairly minimal straight line quilting around each octagon (inside and out) and around the border. I had thought about some hand quilting too but that may be just a bit too much at the moment.

So I'm calling this finished. I love the patchwork and applique and the colours. I'm slightly disappointed with the quilting, but imagination and machine let me down... ho hum! I am pleased that with a three-week old baby in the house I have finished this in time to enter the Pantone challenge.

The finished quilt is 38" x 38" and the fabrics all came from my stash: Kona Snow, Pearl Bracelets, Tilda, Acacia from Tula Pink, Beatrice Chain from Michael Miller, Art Gallery Oval Elements, Painters Canvas, Art Gallery Textures, Rosalie Quinlan from Lecien, Robert Kaufmann blenders, Art Gallery Poetica, Moda Flirt and some other random fabrics from my stash. The backing is Moda marbles in purple and the binding is an unknown purple stripe.

2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge

Hopefully Little Miss will sleep a bit longer so I can check out some of the other entries - a quick glance at the linky thumbnails and I can already tell there are some stunners!

Comments

This looks lovely! I wonder how you manage to do this with a three week old baby!
Lin said…
Well done Jennie - your quilt has turned out really well. Good luck. xx
This is really lovely! I especially like the border. And great job for getting a quilt finished with a three-week-old! Thanks for playing along with the challenge!
Anne said…
Ohh I love the bright aqua you used with the purple tones, they really shine! I'm impressed along with everyone else that you managed to get this done with a 3-week old. :D Beautiful work!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more