Skip to main content

Cosmos Dust [finished]

You have seen this quilt quite regularly on my WIP Wednesday posts but I finally get to share it as a finish. When I found out I was pregnant back in June, I always knew that Baby had to have a quilt of her own - a special one, made by Mummy, with love in every stitch. My initial plan did not meet with approval from her Grandmother so I went back to the drawing board. Lots of pinning ensued and eventually, in November, I came across this pin, and followed the link through to the free pattern, which you can find here.


The pattern was not an EPP pattern, but had some funny odd angles (not quite Y-Seams). EPP was, for me, the logical plan. By then we also knew we were expecting a girl. If she surprises us when she arrives and is a boy (highly unlikely - fairly obvious body parts are not visible on any of my five scans) then a girly quilt will be the least of his problems! Though Daddy may not appreciate pink sleep-suits, baby-grows and cardigans! I used a palette I'd fallen in love with from Design Seeds:

color air
http://design-seeds.com/palettes/ColorAir.png
The fabrics all came from my stash - I made the pink more peachy and the blue more blue (!) - a fabric for each of the 24 stars including: Cuzco by Kate Spain, Paradies from Art Gallery, Painters Canvas from Laura Gunn, Pearl Bracelets, Kona Solids, Pure Elements from Art Gallery, Floral Elements from Art Gallery, Summersville Spring by Lu Summers, Luxe in Bloom from Art Gallery, and Lily and Will (1). The background was a stroke of luck. You may know about my dislike for Hobby Craft but occasional discovery of amazing deals - this was one of them. And it was meant to be - I had exactly the right amount! With a bit of help I picked up border fabrics: Pure Elements and Luxe in Bloom creating a double border which I love. The backing is Moda Basic Dots in a lovely green and the binding is more Pure Elements.


It took a while for me to get my head round the block layouts, but I quickly found a rhythm and the hand sewing really means that every stitch has been made with love - that's what's so special about this quilt - it's also the first quilt I've made with this level of hand stitching. The only machine stitching was to add on the borders and attach the binding to the front of the quilt. The star points which fell outside of the blocks (7 points) are all hand appliqued onto the cream border.


The quilting had to be hand quilting, though I did wonder if I would regret that decision: if she had arrived early, it may never have got finished. But it seemed wrong to machine quilt it. I picked up a no 16 Fica Perle thread in peach (another risk). It was a bit slow to start with and although my stitches are quite even on the front, I had an issue in picking up all layers all of the time, so the back is not perfect. I will continue to persevere with my hand quilting though - it can only get better!


I'm incredibly pleased with this quilt and very relieved that it is finished before Baby arrives. So, Baby, if you were waiting for Mummy to finish your quilt before you made an appearance, waiting is up - feel free to come any time! Like now.

Come the end of the quarter, I'll be linking up this finish with Katie as my first (and possibly only) finish in this year's Finish Along
Finish Along 2014

If the weather ever improves I'll even try and get some decent photos of the quilt in daylight...

Comments

Leanne said…
It's beautiful and filled with love. I sure hope she arrives already.
Lisa said…
Well done! I still haven't finished my daughters baby quilt...and she's already 8 months old. Oops!
mumasu said…
It's looking good!
Diane-crewe said…
it has been lovely to watch this quilt come to-gether ...I am sure she will LOVE it .. and if not there are plenty of us who would pinch it!! lol x
Grit said…
Looks absolutely fantastic.
Sonia said…
It's a fabulous blanket Jennie! Hope baby doesn't keep you waiting much longer x
Wonky Patchwork said…
It's beautiful, and I love your Dear Jane blocks too. Hope you're not getting too fed up waiting for her to arrive.
Sue Wild said…
Absolutely gorgeous quilt.
nicole said…
Oh how i love star quilts! And this one... just adorable! Love the colour palette you used :)
Lin said…
Very very pretty - she's going to love it. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more