Skip to main content

Foundation Pieced Finishes for Friday

It's been a long time since I was so glad it was the weekend. In some respects this week has gone by very quickly. But I am super tired.

Tomorrow is the wedding where I hand over two sets of place mats. So tired or not, tonight I had to finish the second set. And I have.

Four place mats with a 6" foundation pieced star on each surrounded by Art Gallery Floral Elements. I wanted to keep the quilting simple, clean and away from the piecing, to let the stars shine, so I did a grid of organic lines, randomly spaced but similar across all four place mats, using my walking foot and Aurifil thread.

So the final stats: each place mat is approx 15" x 11". The star blocks are from Don't Call Me Betsy and are 6" finished. The fabrics are all Art Gallery: Floral Elements for the background, Pure Elements for the solids and Oval Elements for the final fabric in he stars, the backing and the binding.

I think this may be the first time I've actually bound a quilt with Art Gallery and it was beautiful to use - there will definitely be more Art Gallery binding in my future! I think it's the neatest binding yet that I've done fully by machine.

And just in case you missed them, here are the other place mats completed this week - 6 in this set because nothing beats equilateral triangles like hexagons! The two sets are very different, but I really like both and I hope the Brides do as well (I'm a little less concerned about the Grooms!).

And whilst I was in binding making mode I made the binding for my little paper plane mug rug. I had been planning on using black. The Green was lying around from another project and happened to be sitting on top of the half finished mug rug. There is just a hint of green in one of the neutral fabrics I used on the plane and it lightened the whole thing up - perfect.

This little piece is 8.5" x 6" finished. The paper plane pattern is from Kristy @ Quiet Play but I shrunk it - I can't remember by what percentage - but it's smaller than the original. The fabrics for the plane are two Architextures farbrics - the accounting fabric in plum and grey cross hatch. I've added a small piece of Pearl Bracelets in Grey to get the third shade.

The background is also Architextures - plum cross hatch. The binding is Lemonade from Art Gallery's Pure Elements (and the back is the black text print from Architextures). I quilted a wavy grid across the whole thing then free motioned the loop-de-loop. I had envisioned a single, larger loop. But my hands decided not to do that!

This little mug rug is for me - it's going to join the collection of mug rugs I have pinned up above my desk at work!

And I nearly forgot! The Stars Place Mats are a Finish for the Q2 Finish Along - full steam ahead!

she can quilt

And I'm linking up with Friday Night Sew In too!

Comments

Oh your paper piecing looks fabulous! The placemats are such a great idea for a gift.

And your paper plane turned out beautifully!
Just Sew Sue said…
Gorgeous, I'm also making the Lucky Stars.
Nic said…
The star placemats are gorgeous. I'm sure the newlyweds will love them
Anonymous said…
such beautiful work Jennie,well done.xx
The placemats look stunning. I feel sure they will be much treasured wedding gifts. Love the paper plane mug rug too.

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more