Skip to main content

Pembrokeshire meets Budapest

I'm still here - in Budapest I mean. I arrived a week ago and I have another five days working in the local office. I'm kept sane by some colleagues, driven mad by others... but I love them all! We are eating a LOT of nice food, though I'm pretty certain there is some kind of law preventing vegetables from being served in resturants! Yesterday we went to a place called Va Piano: you enter the restaurant and are given a card, like a credit card, then you pick either pizza or pasta and queue at one of the desks. When you get to the front, the guy on the other side cooks your pasta while you wait and watch - it was amazing! Everything organized perfectly, and the food was delicious. I'm not sure it would work too well in the UK - we're too impatient and it took a bit longer than other fast food chains, but I would go!

We were all so tired after the week at work, that we didn't organize anything for the weekend. And on top of that it has spent most of the weekend snowing - the kind of snow that doesn't look particularly heavy from indoors, but is quite unpleaseant when you go outside - please remember I'm British and literally half an inch of snow causes us problems. We have maybe 3-4" here in the city centre.
The view from my hotel room at about midday today across the
Danube to the pretty building on the Buda side - you can just about
 make out the Chain Bridge away on the right hand side of the photo!
Of course, that has meant a lot of time in my hotel room watching the skiing on telly and sewing... If I were at home, I would be in front of my sewing machine, but I thought bringing it to Budapest was just a step too far. Instead I am getting a lot of hand sewing done, which has actually been really nice and relaxing - I must do more when I'm at home...

First up my Pembrokeshire quilt. I started this quilt when I came to Budapest in October last year. I was here for three nights and stitched about three seams. I then totally ignored this until I came back to Budapest for two weeks in November. This time I completed the piecing and started the applique.

Over Christmas I did the embroidery. Last Saturday, before I flew out, I bought a beautiful blue batik for the borders and binding (I should have bought a little more than I did - the corner stones were necessity rather than planning) and added both, ready to quilt by hand whilst I was here.


It took me two evenings to completely hand sew down the binding (like 40mins / night after work and dinner - I know, life is hard). And then I started the quilting. I didn't get very far - my thimble is back in the UK. Luckily a colleague was able to lend me one on Friday and I completed the hand quilting - I really enjoyed it - I know I shouldn't be surprised, and I will say again, I should do more hand sewing when I'm at home.


I wasn't rocket science, I just echoed the pieced sections. It needs a date with the iron, but I am declaring this mini quilt finished! My first real finish of 2013! I don't have a tape measure with me, so I can't tell you how big it is, but to give you an idea, the hexagons in the centre of the ferris wheels have 1" sides. The embroidery is different placenames from Pembrokeshire, all of which have very happy memories associated with them - because I used quite soft colours I struggled to photograph them, but "Upper Frog Street" - a street in Tenby - is possibly my favourite - and is real! I finished it yesterday about 11am, before the snow had started to settle.

Today I've been working on some other paper pieced projects and I completed the applique on my hexie table runner. Here is the same view from my hotel room today!


And a better picture of it on a very large double bed (life is very hard), to give you an idea of how long it is.

I have also started a new paper pieced project, but you'll have to pop back for WIP Wednesday (hopefully) for a first peek!

The Pembrokeshire quilt was listed on my first quarter Finish Along post, so once the end of the quarter comes round I will be linking up with this post. I hope it isn't the only one!


she can quilt

Comments

Leanne said…
It is so interesting to imagine you stitching in Budapest looking out on the Danube. Congratulations on the beautiful finish.
Lynne said…
Gorgeous colors on BOTH of these. Great job!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more