Skip to main content

A quilt of firsts





Back in January I finished piecing the front of the Melrose quilt. It's called that, because that's the name of the fabric line from Red Rooster fabrics. The pattern is the free one that came with the range.

On Friday I finally layered up the quilt. Yesterday I quilted it. I had planned on wavy lines, like on my Christmas quilt, but a comment Kim made about free motion quilting not being too difficult and looking lovely kept nagging me. So I had a go. I did random circles and swirls in the gaps between the main blocks. The quilting is quite tight, so that the panels with the large print really pop. I then did straight lines round those panels and all the way round the edge.
Although the lighting on this photo isn't great, it does show the quilting.

The quilting isn't perfect, but I'm really chuffed with how good it is for a first real attempt on a quilt top. So free motion quilting was the first of my firsts.

Here's a bigger shot of the back - Look at Charlie peering round trying to work out what's going on!

Today came the second of my firsts. I have a confession: I've never used mitred corners on my binding. I'm self-taught on binding quilts so I started off by hashing the corners a bit, but a year of mini Calendar girl quilts led to me refining this process till I was happy with very neat corners and no rough edges. But one of my new years resolutions was to try mitred corners on my binding. And today I did. I used this tutorial and it worked wonderfully. I don't think I'll ever go back. I didn't do the pinking shears step in the tutorial. I will next time - I got fed up of frayed bits of fabric. I am also falling in love with stripey bindings - the two quilts I've finished this year both had stripey binding and they just look stunning.

It seemed to take forever to hand stitch the binding to the back (another resolution is to try the machining to the front binding). But it is finally finished, and I love it. It's not perfect, but it's another step on my quilting journey.

Also, I've seen some photos on blogs where people have used hair clips to hold binding down. I tried it today and it was another revelation. No going back to pinning my binding and stabbing my fingers!

I think the rest of my day will be given over to Swooning. I've neglected these blocks for a couple of weeks while I've worked on other projects, but in the last week Katie has started a thread on the Flickr group about the next quilt-along. I am definitely in, but I really should finish Swoon first - deadline = mid March - by then I'd like to have all nine blocks pieced, but probably not quilted. I'm quilting these giant blocks using the quilt as you go method, but I need to find just the right backing fabric first. Then I'm on the lookout for a red and white striped fabric for the binding.

I spoke to my Mum yesterday - she's been having a look on my blog and had a couple of comments: my first attempt at FMQ in the FMQ Challenge - leaves, was not, in my mind, a great success. Mum loved it so much, she nearly called me to tell me. I know how I'll be quilting her next quilt. And the Farmer's Wife block that I really don't like (Country Path) is one of her favourites. Typical!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more