Skip to main content

Finished: Chasing Chevrons Quilt Top

Today I finished the Chasing Chevrons Quilt Top from That Girl That Quilt.

I struggled to get a good photo of it as it is dark and my quilt-holder-upper is not home from work yet. I'll try again at the weekend, but I'm too excited to wait till then to share it!

I have been working on this since last weekend when all of a sudden, the end came into sight! On Tuesday night I finished the last of the Chevrons, cut the plain squares and decided on a layout. The final piecing went together very quickly and I'm so pleased with how accurate my seams are.

Although quite a straightforward pattern, I learnt a lot from this design:

1. It was the first project I started on my new machine where seams and seam allowances mattered, so I've learnt the spot on my machine for a perfect quarter of an inch (doesn't mean I hit it every time - sometimes I miss it)

2. A new way of making four HSTs at once. Although the technique results in bias edges, I was careful with them and they didn't distort at all, so this is definitely a technique I will be using in the future. Also, the idea of cutting the starting squares bigger and then trimming down the HST blocks. Although this can get a tad tedious when you're making lots, the accuracy is 100% better and I will definitely be doing this for every quilt from now on - I'm already putting this into practice on my Swoon blocks and the difference is amazing.

3. Pressing: Up till now the distinction between ironing and pressing has been a bit blurry. But with the bias edges I was really careful on this one. And it really makes a difference....

4. Spray starch. I've tried it. I made my own from this recipe. I'm not a convert. It did make the fabric less likely to distort, but it also gunked up my iron and ironing board cover too much for it to be practical. I have to iron my work clothes on the same ironing board with the same iron the next morning. If I have fiddly projects in the future then maybe I'll come back to it. But at least I can say I've tried it.

5. Pressing seams open. I'm normally a to the side kind of girl, but I tried the open seams on this one. I still managed to make my seams match, which is why I've avoided it in the past. All of the chevron blocks have the seams pressed open and it gives really sharp points and reduces bulk. WHen I came to putting all the blocks together I returned to my "to the side" approach - it is quicker. But I have started pressing all of my HST blocks with an open seam and that is working really well - I think I'll combine the two!

The best thing about this project was that it was perfect for using some fabrics I bought in Sidmouth in the Summer. Although they come from different lines I think they have worked well together. I only hat fat eights and fat sixteenths except in one fabric, so it wouldn't have been enough for most projects - now I have a quilt made from all of them and some background full of memories.

Thank you That Girl That Quilt for helping me improve my piecing skills and designing such a great quilt!

Now I need some advice. I have enough of the fabric left to make a border - I was thinking 5"x2.5" rectangles of the coloured fabrics stitched all round the edges (the seams would match up with the seams in the quilt), and then bind with the background fabric (I think I have enough left). But does it need a border? Should I just make a scrappy binding (another thing I've never done before)?

How should I quilt it? I'm going to get the bamboo blend wadding because it's just so beautifully soft and snuggly.... Do I.... Learn some free motion quilting and have this as my first attempt? Wavy line quilting like I did on my Christmas quilt? Straight line quilting echoing the seams? All suggestions very gratefully received.

Comments

Brandie said…
I think it would look good without the boarder and use a scrappy binding

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more